Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Start With A Flower


This week we start with a flower. It doesnt matter that you've never
painted one before or that you have and suck at it or just dont have time
to do a great painting. Anything worth doing is worth doing crappy because
painting sloppy flowers is fun. and more importantly it gets us out of ourselves
and away from the fear of a white page. Drawing what is in front of you
is a great way to begin a journal page even if that is not the image you
end up with. It is fallacy that great art begins and ends in one stream.
The truth is that things change. Just like a writer needs to write out through
the rusty water, visual artists need to keep their arms moving even when not inspired.
Some pages are not about great composition and perfect borders. This is not a scrapbook. This is a mixed media journal about your life. Some pages might have beautiful flowers in them, or portraits, or drawings you take a lot of time with.
But that is not the only kind of art. Free expression without concern for 'art school rules' leads to freedom. It does.

Start with a flower. See where it takes you. Perhaps it will lead you to a memory of your grandmother and will lead you to search thru photo albums for her picture. Maybe it will remind you of lemonade and summers cutting the grass, you can paint that. and maybe for you it will start and end with a flower, the flower that sits before you. This is good. This is what art journaling should be.





18 comments:

Apple said...

I just adore your puppy!! He's so cute!!! Thank you for having assignments...it helps me with my "what do I draw today?" syndrome.

redpearl said...

Thank you for this. I'm always trying to think of something profound to put in my art journal. I love the idea of starting with something so simple as a flower.

P.S. You are so very pretty!

Nina said...

You cut LLRC's eyebrows!! I love how Pooh just tolerates her:-)

Very cool to show you painting over a page and doing it again differently. Gave me a new understanding of layers.

Bonafyde said...

Perfect timing...i`ve had poppies on the brain for two weeks now...i am just obsessed with them! and I have been so itching to paint them so you know what I`m going to have to go do...I so have to get myself hooked up t o actually share my stuff back to you, it`s a coming!

theysaywordscanbleed said...

thanks for the tips!

Tacoma florist

Iris said...

Pooh is so incredibly cat like in being all 'hmm? so what?' to Lulu, it's so funny! Lulu is adorable and she has such a nice bed, it makes me jealous! OK that's just because I'm tired at the moment.

You don't just inspire me Suzi, you actually ENABLE me to do art.

Fiona said...

Another great video. I've got some tulips just about to start curling and getting interesting. So now I have a goal for tonight's art project - draw them into my journal! -

RAWVOLTA said...

you are sooo full of bliss, Suzi! Every time -so simple, but so alive!
love you more and more!

Deirdra Doan said...

Suzi Suzi Suzi!!! Thanks for the JOY you bring! your vlog was so inspiring.. Love you...Flowers....and Happy Easter....
I put up some Celtic drawings on my blog. See me,the green lady, I am a Celtic lady in my little picture on my journey.
oxox

milkandcookies said...

I love your work and check up on you every week. Have you tried gouache over type? Opaque watercolor that can be lifted with water. More fun stuff to acquire. I haven't tried it with journaling, but would like to see you do it!

leeesh said...

this isn't really related to this weeks project.
but i was at this exhibition last week, saw this artist's stuff, and was instantly reminded of you.
maybe it was the layers, maybe it was the mixed media, or maybe it was simply the fact that he inspired me too.
just thought you should check it out.
http://www.kenflett.com/

enjoy.

Soaked In Violet said...

All this week in the school where I teach art, my little guys have been painting big bursts of color that they call flowers! So much fun to watch! Thanks for your video--cuz it reminded me that I should be bursting out colored flowers too. Luv ya SuziBlu!

bxfirebird said...

So far I have done 3 pages of flowers! Thanks for the prompt!!!

*~Niki~* said...

Thanks for another great video Suzi. Your puppy is soooooo cute. Have a wonderful Easter weekend.

elevatorself said...

I have no sound on my computer now so I have been watching your video with no sound, i love your flower paintings! this is the perfect assignment for me right now because I have been meaning to send flower drawings to family and friends who are sick/having problems, this is just what I needed to get started. Thanks again for the awesomeness you bring. Glad to see your kitty looking healthy!

Patricia J. Mosca said...

Fly into the Magical Garden...
Thanks for the inspiration as always.http://pjmosca.blogspot.com/2008/03/fly-into-magical-garden.html
http://www.pjmosca.blogspot.com

violette said...

great video Suzi..........i love how your pages come together so beautifully!

Love, violette

CarrieJ said...

decided to dive right in and paint. No I did not have a flower to start with, but worked from memories of flowers and such. About two seconds in my daughter ran up and wanted to paint, thankfully I was only planning to do one page in my journal right hten, so she climbed up on a knee and painted Scooby while I did the flower. So cute to have her painting in my journal!